By Charlie Warnimont
DHI Media Correspondent
GLANDORF — Van Wert goalie Brant Henry did a good job keeping Ottawa-Glandorf off the scoreboard for over 20 minutes Thursday evening.
As the Titans were able to substitute and make adjustments to their offensive attack, O-G was able to build a halftime lead on the Cougars. And with 10 minutes to talk about adjustments at halftime, the Titans were able to build their lead on their way to an 8-1 Western Buckeye League win.
Ottawa-Glandorf put a lot of pressure on the Van Wert goal throughout the match, but Henry was able to frustrate their attack early by coming out and picking up long passes played into the box. As the match wore on, the Titans were able to adjust their attack and get better scoring opportunities that they were able to convert into scores.
“They came out strong,” Van Wert coach Matt Hernandez said. “They needed to make one small adjustment. They were leading with their passes too much and that’s why our goalkeeper was gobbling them up. They started playing the ball better forward and that created opportunities for them as where before their passes were just a little too far.”

With Henry helping to keep the game scoreless for 20 minutes, the Titans ended their offensive drought when senior Brandon Hempfling scored a goal with 19:08 left in the opening half. Hempfling picked up a pass just outside the box and fired a shot that defelcted off a player from each team before bouncing into the goal.
Six minutes later, junior Jordan Verhoff made it 2-0 when he scored after taking a pass that helped him get behind a Cougar defender where he was able to put a shot past Henry. O-G went up 3-0 with 9:31 left in the half as Verhoff played a cross to the far side of the box where Trevor Ellerbrock chased down the pass and dumped the ball to Tory Schroeder in the middle of the box who knocked a shot into the right side of the goal.
With the lead, O-G coach Mike Weihrauch was able to make more adjustments at haftime that led to five second half goals for the Titans.
“We were pushing hard at their goal and creating opportunities and once you break the ice things started to fall into place for us,” Weihrauch said. “Their goalie was kind of aggressive and that affected how we wanted to attack. We tried to do it during the flow of the play and that didn’t work real well. At halftime we switched up how we attacked them. The first half we were attacking down the middle and they were bunching the middle up on us. We really wanted to focus on getting the ball wide and getting the early cross or turning the corner and playing the ball into the middle.”
Nick Schroeder opened the second half scoring for O-G as he collected a rebound off the post and knocked a shot home. Brad Croy scored a pair of goals in the next seven minutes and Mitch Niese scored making it 7-0 O-G. With the lead, the Titans were able to get their starters out of the game and play backups most of the second half.
Van Wert avoided the shutout as Joe Lisa scored against the Titan backup goalie with 9:03 left. Lisa picked up a ball on the right side of the box and lofted a shot over the outstretched hands of the O-G goal to the far corner of the net.
Tory Schroeder ended O-G’s scoring with 2:13 left when he picked up a loose ball and fired in a shot.
Despite the outcome, Hernandez wasn’t totally unhappy with his teams effort against a quality team like O-G.
“They are a good team. They played great,” Hernandez said. “They are big, strong, but they are clean. They challenge for the ball perfectly and they won nearly every 50-50 ball because they knew how to challenge for it. They’ve alwys been a good team, a top of the league team. I tell my guys watch them and try to do some of the things they do. I was happy with our play, we did have some counter attacks and sometimes we don’t do that, so that was good.”