Top ten reasons to visit Berne for Swiss Days
Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:00 AM
BERNE, Indiana — Swiss Days returns to Berne, Indiana on July 25-26. The Berne Chamber of Commerce sent along the top ten reasons to pay a visit to the festival this Friday and Saturday.
10) Parade - It features bands, floats, mascots, and local businesses.
9) Little Miss Swiss Days - Come out to see who will be crowned this year’s Little Miss Swiss Days. The girls will model their outfits and answer some questions, or do a talent for the judges to see who will come out on top. The winner will be featured in the parade on Saturday riding on the back of a convertible.
8) Tours of Local Businesses - Throughout the Swiss Days festival, take time to tour Agape Respite Care, Hitzer Stoves, Arthur & Gloria Muselman Wellness Pavilion, Annie’s Publishing, Smith Brothers Furniture, and Swiss Village.
7) Swiss Heritage Village Activities - Come out and enjoy a multitude of activities hosted by Swiss Heritage Village. Events include: Antique Tractor & Engine Show, the car show, Cheese-making demonstration, Sawmill demonstration, and village tours.
6) Tower Jam-Fest - Head on down to the clock tower at Muensterberg Plaza to hear live music from local bands Rocky Evans, Nothing Wrong with Daisy, and Black Flag Republic, and Adam Andrews Band. This free event will kick off at 7:30 on Saturday evening.
5) Beers and Jessops Amusement Rides - Enjoy carnival rides that spin and twirl for all ages.
4) Entertainment - Listen to accordion duet Ken and Mary Accordions on Thursday, July 24 from 7:30-9:30 p.m. at the downtown stage. The Hank Haller Ensemble will be performing on Friday, July 25 from 6-10 p.m. and Saturday July 26 from 7-10 p.m. The tent will be over the city building parking lot again this year to provide a meeting place and a way to beat the heat!
3) Berne’s Got Talent - Come out to showcase your talents at the second annual Berne’s Got Talent talent show at Burkhalter Auditorium at South Adams High School on Friday, July 26 at 7 p.m. for an evening of fun and excitement for the whole family.
2) Competitions - Participate in a Bowling tournament, Rotary tennis tournament, 3-on-3 basketball, First Bank of Berne 5K race, Pine Lake sand sculpture competition, Swiss Steintoss, and the South Adams Athletic Boosters Golf Outing
1) Craft and Food Vendors - Eat great food such as locally made bratwurst, apple dumplings, fried cheese sticks, tenderloins, wings, and more. Also, shop at local craft vendors for unique, handmade items.
History will come to life as the story of our Swiss beginnings unfolds at Swiss Heritage Village on the north edge of Berne. The village has grown to become the largest indoor/outdoor historical museum in northern Indiana, consisting of 15 historical buildings built between the years of 1860 and 1900. The indoor historical museum is filled with local history and visitors can browse through the gift shop. Take time to enjoy a village tour.