DHI Media Staff Report

VAN WERT -- No injuries were reported Wednesday night when a garage at a residence was discovered to be engulfed in flames.

The garage was just east of the intersection of St. Rd. 709 and Mendon Rd. A Sheriff's deputy noticed a reddish glow at the residence around 10:35 p.m., and when he investigated saw that the building was burning. He knocked on the door and awoke the resident who had gone to bed a few minutes prior. A building next to the garage was serving as a building to house a dog. The dog escaped through a screen door and was not hurt.

Crews from Mendon, Rockford, Middle Point, and Ohio City were called to the blaze.