National Door & Trim creating 30 new jobs in Van Wert
Thursday, December 12, 2013 7:02 PM
Reprinted with permission from Lake Erie West Manufacturing & Construction News
National Door & Trim is nearing completion on the addition of a showroom and additional office space to their building. As part of the company’s expansion, it will eventually be creating 30 new jobs. (Times Bulletin/Lindsay McCoy)
National Door & Trim is expanding its facility located on Grill Road in Van Wert's Vision Industrial Park. The company is nearing completion on the addition of showroom office space.
The company was founded in 1978 and its primary products include pre-finished doors and trims that are ready to install. In recent years, the company has added custom kitchens and custom hardwood flooring to its list of products.Tom Turnwald, president of National Door and Trim, stated that the driving need for this expansion is to showcase the company's existing and new products.
"When things were slowest for us (during the housing market collapse) was 2009," Turnwald stated.
He noted that during that slow period, the company worked on expanding their product lines.
"We've been growing for the past three years and these new products require retail space to show them," Turnwald explained.
The company's current facility is approximately 75,000 square feet. The showroom addition is around 2,600 square feet and the new office space is 1,300 square feet.
"The expansion is an indication that progress is being made in our Vision Industrial Park and that companies have begun to invest in capital projects to meet the needs of customers," stated Cindy Leis, Van Wert County Economic Development director. "The expansion is in an effort to promote new products and expand their customer base, which will overall improve the customer services and ultimately increase sales and employment."
The company will eventually be creating 30 new jobs, according to Turnwald. The company currently employs around 43.
Van Wert City Council approved an Enterprise Zone agreement with National Door & Trim. This agreement provides the company with a 100% property tax abatement for a five-year period.
Alexander and Bebout, Inc., of Van Wert, is the general contractor for this project, providing design-build services.
Turnwald noted that the facility uses energy efficient lightning, but that is not the only green element to the company.
"Many of the products we make ourselves are green," Turnwald advised.
He stated that all of the finishes used on the various products are water-based and all of the wood used to manufacture the products come from sustainable forests.
"About 90% of our customers are resident contractors and residential builders," Turnwald explained, noting that the other 10% are individuals.
He noted that National Door & Trim's products are typically supplied to homes valued from $350,000 up to $2 million.
According to Turnwald, the company manufactures supplies for six to eight homes each day.
National Door & Trim's customer base is approximately a 130-mile radius from Van Wert, according to Turnwald. He explained the company's coverage stretches to Toledo; Elkhart, Indiana; and the Dayton and Columbus areas.