**UPDATED AT 6:00 p.m.** VAN WERT - Many businesses and government offices have delayed opening are closed on Monday, Jan. 6, 2014, due to the weather. A comprehensive list is not possible, so it is best to call before you try to visit a business or an office.
Bulletin delivery on Monday, January 6, may be delayed based upon
location. The city of Van Wert should be delivered by late Monday
afternoon. Delivery from Convoy and Paulding County post offices will
occur on Tuesday. All other post office newspaper deliveries should
occur with normal mail operations on Monday.
All local school districts have called off classes on Monday. The Van Wert Muncipal Building and all city offices are closed. All county offices are also closed.
The Van Wert County Engineer's Department is having a hard time keeping up with drifting snow on county and township roadways. It is advice not to venture out at night, as temperatures will drop severely. Both Monday and Tuesday, the forecast calls for below zero temperatures and wind chills approaching 45 below. Van Wert County remains under a Snow Emergency which means all non-emergency travel is prohibited.
According to Mayor Don Farmer, travel within the Van Wert city limits is permitted but they are asking for it to be limited to essential needs and purposes.
Paulding and Mercer Counties remain under a Level 3 Snow Emergency which means all non-emergency travel is prohibited and subject to a ticket.
Please also take time to check on neighbors and animals.
Here is a list of delays and cancellations the Times Bulletin has received:
- First Federal of Van Wert is closed.
- Today's Relay for Life of Van Wert meeting is canceled and will be rescheduled for a later time.
- Van Wert Vision is closed.
- All local U.S. Bank facilities are closed.
- The Van Wert County Hospital Wellness Center is closed.
- The Van Wert County Election Board is closed.
- Van Wert County Hospital Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy/Rehabilitation - Opening at 9:00 a.m.
- Van Wert County Hospital New Employee Orientation is canceled for Monday, January 6.
- Van Wert Medical Services - The offices of Dr. Jarvis, Dr. Wray, Dr. Hoehn, Dr. Khatib, Dr. Conte, Dr. Miller, Dr. Hohman, Dr. Huber, Shane Gerber, and Chris Ulrich are closed.
- The Van Wert Municipal Court is closed.
- Foster Family Chiropractic is closed.
- All Mercer County government offices are closed.
- Second shift at Eaton Corp. has been canceled.
- Third shift at Federal Mogul has been canceled.