Crestview readies for new school year
Tuesday, August 19, 2014 12:01 AM
BY ED GEBERT
Members of the Crestview Local Schools Board of Education gathered Monday for its monthly meeting. (DHI Media/Ed Gebert)
Times Bulletin Editor
CONVOY — With the resumption of classes upcoming, the Crestview Board of Education met Monday evening to finish off a few details before classes begin for the year.
Part of the process is finalizing the staff, and two teacher and a cook were approved for the year. After accepting the resignation of Spanish teacher Jill Carpenter, who had spent the last three years at Crestview, Erin Callow was hired to teach Spanish. Principal Mike Biro explained that a shortage of qualified Spanish teachers and an abundance of openings in the area for Spanish teachers made the search quite difficult. Biro said the district was quite fortunate to land Callow, who has a Spanish degree and a great deal of practical experience with the language.
The other new faculty member is 2008 Crestview graduate Jordan Miller who was hired to take over a language arts teacher in the high school. Miller is replacing Pam Brown who resigned after 13 years with Crestview.
Diane Boroff was the third hire of the day. She will serve as a cook for the district.
A three-year lease agreement with Lenovo Financial Services to purchase computer equipment was approved Crestview is beginning its one to one (1:1) , program in the middle and high school this year. Also accepted was a proposal from Perry ProTech Proposal to expand and upgrade the district’s security camera system. Superintendent Mike Estes noted that after working with the system since installation, they have found the weaknesses and the soft spots in surveillance, and this upgrade will greatly increase the effectiveness of the system.
In other action, the board:
• Approved Jennifer Daugherty as paraprofessional for the summer,
• Approved supplemental contracts for baseball coaches: Jim Wharton, Gregg Mosier, Terry Crowle. Doyle Sheets, and Matt Perkins; softball coaches: Lori Hammons, Morgan Hicks, Carl Etzler, Lindsay Ebbeskotte, Chad Pugh, and Melissa Eickholt, track coaches: James Lautzenheiser, Randy Grandstaff, Ben Kaufman, Diane Wilson, Hannah Phlipot, and Steve Sealscott; and class advisor Jenna Wurst,
• Approved volunteer coaches Owen Pugh, Sara Owens, Shawn Schuette, Mike Hammons and Meghan Henry,
• Approved Paul Cearns, Doug Germann, Eric Hancock, Glenn Hicks, David Ray, Shannon Smith and James Winhover as volunteer drivers for the box van for swing choir and band equipment,
• Approved the list of substitute teachers, aides and school nurses from the Western Buckeye Educational Service Center and subsequent revisions, the classified employee substitute list and subsequent revisions,
• Approved the bus routes for the 2014-2015 school year as presented and authorize the Superintendent to make changes as needed.
• to approve October 13, 2014 as an Ohio District Operational Waiver Day to be used for staff professional development purposes.
• Approved a lease agreement with Scott Eickholt to farm around 40 acres of land owned by the district. The lease is for $12,896,
• Approved the Northwest Ohio Area Computer Services Cooperative (NOACSC) Computer Services Agreement,